Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Slowalker -- Photography + Writing of Chris Rorrer

I am loving the new blog written by Twitter pal Chris Rorrer (@rorrer) .


It's safe to say that I'm drawn to his photography and the way it makes me question where exactly he took the shots and from what odd angle. Some look like he was lying on his stomach. I feel quite upside-down.
Even without the wonderful photography I would return to this blog. Professionally Chris writes corporate stuff that would probably put me to sleep (sorry, old guy). But Slowalker is written in a quiet, beautifully cadenced style. There's some pretty serious stuff going on and since we are only Twitter friends I am not comfortable enough to inquire, but I appreciate that we all have -- for lack of a better word -- stuff going on in our lives. I can but wish to find such a honest and harmonious voice. Maybe I ought to leave this darn machine and go for a walk and recall what it is like to be untethered to technology.

Whereas I am content to say I make up stories in my own little way, here Chris puts the same thing into a coherent and charming paragraph:

"I’m in the hills today in the town of Independence, population 971 or so. Independence is beautiful, rolling country in the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia; not an easy place to get to, and not many people would every have reason to try. I’m stuck on what a crisply narrative name that someone, a long time ago, bestowed upon this place. The rustic fairy tale in my head is no doubt more interesting (at least to me) than whatever bygone truth is connected to this thickly emotive place-name, but I don’t know the reality and I tend to make my way best through the world by imposing my own mythology on it anyway."
walk slowly, breathe deeply … Write on.

No comments: