Saturday, August 2, 2008

Joachim Froese Photography

Happened upon the work of Canadian born photographer Joachim Froese this morning. Wow!


At first I was drawn to his work because I like art/photography and just about anything else with insects on it. Except in my kitchen, little ants.

I particularly like his
first Rhopography Series. It's about the decay of everyday items; in this case fruits and insects. Poking about his site I saw a series of photographs of book -- another favorite subject. It is called Portrait of My Mother and speaks volumes (not funny) about his last days with his mother. Below is an excerpt, and here is the whole link (http://tinyurl.com/5go4ub).

She always had been an avid reader and literature played an important part in both of our lives. I had previously often thought about a project involving her library and I soon embarked on the idea to photograph all her books, one after the other in one long row. It quickly became our joint project.
At first it made us talk about individual authors and about literature in general but towards her end she could only recognize the objects and family photos I placed amongst the books. While her life was coming to an end the row of books grew and grew. I photographed at night and during the day assembled the pictures on the computer at her bedside as she wanted me to continue with 'our' project until her last moment. After her death I finished the series until all her books were photographed in 'her' order.


No comments: