Friday, May 16, 2008

An Unfinished Life


Jeff Cooley is exhibiting the work of Allen Butler Talcott at the Cooley Gallery in Old Lyme, Ct through June 7th. Talcott died in 1908 at the age of 41. The exhibit makes me want to sit and stare and study.


Normally I don't care for the work of the Lyme Impressionists. The style is way overdone in this area, in particular. The whole plein air notion is anathema to me. But this guy's sense of atmosphere is stunning.

The painting above, April Buds and Blossoms, is a perfect example of what I love about his work. Evidently he liked scratching and using textural techniques. The scenery begs for it. The back and forth between the detailed versus the squinty areas. Adore his palette. In fact, in this painting he uses my secret color that I put in every piece.

No comments: