Thursday, May 8, 2008

ICA in Boston

The purpose of the visit to Boston was to see the new ICA.
It was a dreary day, but worth it. One artist I found thrilling
was Ranjani Shettar a young artist from Bangalore. She makes what she calls Sun-sneezers blow light bubbles. In her description of the work she speaks of the fact that some people react to the sun by sneezing.At first glance, they looked like gold bangles, but upon inspection they were made of more humble media. Muslin and tamarind power.I looked like masking tape up close. It made me think of my favorite Eva Hesse works, which were made, unfortunately, of much more dangerous constituent parts.

The Media Center was both amazing and, somewhat frightening. Amazing in that it was what appeared to be a lecture hall with an Apple computer at each station, but it is cantilevered over the Harbor. I walked down, as far as I could and suddenly felt the cold air. Is this always the case? Are there holes in this building? I did not get my nose to the glass wall. I held on to the railing for dear life. But, hey, that's just me.

No comments: