Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Sunday Sculptures



I so admire the work of sculptor Pamela Sunday (above). Her forms are both organically familiar and yet otherworldly. In fact, after reading the modest bio on her website, I thought that perhaps she was a Brit. But nope, her studio is in the Boerum Hill/Carroll Garden section of Brooklyn.

Sunday started out as a math and econ major at Fordham and, while never taking an art course, wound up as a stylist at Bergdorf Goodman after a stint on Wall Street. Why does this not surprise me? She then turned to ceramics as art rather than creating functional pieces. Pamela told me that she's inspired by "microscopic forms found in nature."

I hope to visit her studio in the near future. Serious but fun. I like when an artist can survive by doing what she loves.

No comments: